Chocolate Molten-lava Cakes



I believe that most people call these soufflés, but I call them molten-lava cakes. Someone is probably rolling their eyes at me right now because there is probably a clear and precise difference between the two, but all I know is it's really good so who cares what it's called!!

I have been making these for a long time and they are definitely a favorite among my friends and family. And they are pretty easy, quick and do not require too many ingredients.

Recipe- Serves 6

1 1/3 Cup of Semi-Sweet Chocolate Chips

1/2 Cup (1 stick) Butter

1 Cup Powdered Sugar

6 TBSP Flour

2 Egg Yolks

2 Eggs

Preheat oven to 425 degrees.

You are supposed to use specific soufflé dishes, but a long time ago I planned to make these for Valentine's Day so I found these small heart shaped dishes that I used and still use. 

You need to grease the dishes/pans and place them on an air-bake cooking sheet. 

Microwave the chocolate and butter until it is melted. 

Stir in sugar.

Blend in eggs and egg yolks with wire whisk.

Stir in flour.

Pour batter into dishes.

Bake for 8 minutes. 
**The secret of these is that the middle of them remains "gooey". So I recommend keeping an eye on them after 6 minutes to make sure they cook around the edges but when you cut into them the "chocolate lava" spills out :)
It can change the way they cook depending on the pans you use as well as how full you fill the dishes. 

When the time is up, pull them out and slide them off the cooking sheet. The more they are exposed to the heat, the more they will cook. 

Ok, if you use a soufflé dish you are supposed to be able to eat it right out of the dish (I must try this) but I prefer my cute little heart dishes. In the case of my dishes, you have to run a knife around the edges of the dish, then turn the dish over and carefully dump the heart into a bowl or dish for serving. 

Then sprinkle with the desired amount of powdered sugar. I guess "less is more" like in fancy restaurants where they sprinkle powdered sugar on as a decoration, but I say less is less, so pour on the powdered sugar and enjoy!!!


No comments