Doggie King Cake Recipe

I spent almost the first decade of my life living just outside of New Orleans so I am very familiar with King Cake and Mardi Gras, but in case you aren't....

A traditional king cake is a cross between a coffee cake and a French pastry in the shape of an oval. It's decorated in three colors, purple to symbolize "Justice",  green for "Faith" and gold for "Power" and these colors were chosen to resemble a crown to honor the wise men who visited Jesus on Epiphany (the visit of the Magi to Jesus). A small plastic baby is commonly hidden in a king cake. The person who finds the baby in their piece is named "King" for the day and must provide the king cake for the following year.

So there you go! I find it fascinating and fun!



I wanted my "children" to participate in the tradition so I adapted my dog birthday cake recipe to be a King Cake today!

This cake recipe is my dog birthday cake recipe, so it doesn't have to be just King Cake.
I make my dog cakes in a bundt pan but you may use whatever you like, just know the cooking time will differ depending on the pan you use.




1 Egg
1/4 Cup Cooking Oil (I use olive oil)
1/4 Cup Peanut Butter (make sure your peanut butter is free of Xylitol, its poisonous to dogs)
1 TSP Vanilla
1/4 Cup Honey
2 TSP Cinnamon
1 Cup Flour
1 TSP Baking Soda
1/2 Cup Water

Preheat Oven to 350 degrees.
Grease bundt pan.

Mix flour, soda and cinnamon together in a bowl. Add all other ingredients to the flour mixture. Beat until smooth.
Place greased bundt pan on cookie sheet.
Bake for 20 minutes or until toothpick comes out clean.
Turn upside down on cooling rack to cool.



 The frosting is simply plain yogurt with peanut butter.
I just mixed a scoop of both in a bowl. If you dog likes plain yogurt, you don't even have to add peanut butter if you don't want to!

Once mixed, simply use a spatula to spread the frosting onto the cake however thick you would like it to be.

If you wanted to make more of a birthday cake you do not have to add the sprinkles I am adding to my King Cake.

I picked up some Wilton sprinkles at Wax-Mart in the colors, green, purple and yellow.
I do not recommend a lot of dyes or sugars in your dog's diet, but for this one occasion it shouldn't be a problem.



Sprinkle in the green, purple and yellow pattern all around the cake.

I do not recommend giving the entire cake to your dog in one sitting.
I usually cut pieces of cake just I would a person and give a piece a day to my dogs.

Keep the extra in the refrigerator to stay fresh.

My dogs ABSOLUTELY LOVE this cake. Another reason I keep it in the fridge is because Molly won't stop barking for it if it's on the counter.

However I discovered, Molly was NOT a fan of the sprinkles. So I wiped them off and just gave her a piece with frosting and cake :)

Enjoy and send me pics if you end up making one for your pups!


No comments