Molly's Birthday Donut Tower

You know Molly's birthday had to be different. We couldn't just have a plain ol' cake.
dog birthday party
This is our same cake recipe. I thought about changing it up, but Molly absolutely LOVES this recipe. I can't keep any leftovers in my house because she will destroy anything that stands between her and the cake. 
donut tower
I did change up the frosting. When I make cake I typically make a cream cheese based frosting. But as weird as it sounds, Molly does not like cream cheese. She only likes peanut butter and yogurt, so that is exactly what I used for the frosting. 
dog party
I ordered the balloons from Etsy, see link here. And then I grabbed the numbers from Hobby Lobby as well as the table cloth. Hobby Lobby had a lot of donut birthday decorations! OH! And I also found the CUTEST birthday crown at Hobby Lobby too! It did not come with elastic, so I just bought some in the fabric section and stabled it to the crown to stay on her head!
birthday crown
I bought the donut pan from Target to bake the donuts in. Click here to shop it!
Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Grease your donut pan.
Add the following ingredients to a mixing bowl:
1 egg
1/4 Cup of Peanut Butter (be sure this DOES NOT include any xylitol, it is poisonous to dogs)
1/4 Cup of Olive Oil
1 tsp of Vanilla
1/4 Cup of Honey
2 tsp of Cinnamon
1 Cup of Whole Wheat Flour
1 tsp of Baking Soda
 
Mix all of the ingredients together with a mixer. Add up to 1/2 cup of water until the batter reaches a cake like consistency to pour into your cake pan. 
Spoon in the batter in each donut filling. Fill 2/3 of the way full. Take a spoon and stir the batter in the donut filling to help blend together. This will help it bake better.
Cook for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick is clean after inserting into the donuts. Then turn the pan upside down on a cooling rack to cool. Allow the donuts to come out of the pan and cool.
To create frosting:
Mix 1/2 cup of plain yogurt and 1/2 cup of peanut butter to a bowl and mix together until blended. Dip the donuts individually in the frosting or spread the frosting on top of each donut.
To make it "chocolate" I simply add carob powder to the mixture. 
Sprinkles can be applied if you wish. I love the look of them, so I use them. 
Arrange the donuts on a plate or cake stand to display. I started with 4 on the bottom layer, then the second layer had 3, then 2 then 1. 

No comments