Black Bean Soup- My Go-To This Winter

So this is the first year I have lived out on my own, with no roommate, or anyone to rely on for supplying me food.
So I am having to plan, buy groceries and budget like a real adult to provide food for myself on a daily basis.

Therefore I have been trying a lot of new recipes. I want delicious and easy BUT also makes good leftovers because I am not a leftover person, so if it warms up to be less than good, I will not be eating it, and it will be wasted.

I have found all of that in this Black Bean Soup.

I found it from cookingclassy.com but have changed a few things due to my
1) laziness
and
2) taste preferences

So I am going to paste the recipe here as she has it on cookingclassy.com but in parenthesis and in pink, I'll tell you how I do it!





Black Bean Soup
Servings: 6
Prep Time5 minutes
Cook Time20 minutes
Total Time25 minutes

Ingredients

  • 4 (14.5 oz) cans black beans, divided
  • 6 slices bacon (7 oz), chopped into small pieces (I use bacon bits!)
  • 1 large yellow onion , chopped (1 3/4 cups) (I hate onions, so I don't use them)
  • 1 large poblano pepper , seeded, stemmed and diced small (1 cup) (Don't use this either!)
  • 4 cloves garlic , minced
  • 2 (14.5 oz) cans low-sodium chicken broth, divided, then more to thin if desired
  • 1 (14.5 oz) can fire roasted diced tomatoes
  • 1 tsp ground cumin
  • 1 tsp ancho chili powder
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper
  • 1 Tbsp lime juice
  • 1/3 cup chopped cilantro (Never have this around, so I don't use it)
  • 1 can of Ro-Tel (I use this instead of the onions and pepper, just more flavor!)

For serving (optional)

  • Sour cream , cheese (shredded Mexican or cheddar cheese), diced avocado, diced roma tomatoes, chopped cilantro, tortilla chips

Instructions

  1. Place 1 1/2 cans of drained black beans in a food processor along with 1/2 cup of the chicken broth and pulse until well pureed. Rinse remaining 2 1/2 cans of black beans in a colander. Set all black beans aside. (I've made the soup doing this and not doing this. If you do puree, it will be "soupier" than if you don't where it will just be more "chili" like. Tastes good either way)
  2. Heat a large pot over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until nearly crisp, tossing occasionally (or skip this and just use bacon bits!). Add in onions and poblano pepper (or your Ro-Tel) and saute 3 minutes then add garlic and saute 1 minute longer. Stir in remaining chicken broth (3 cups). Add in black beans, black bean puree mixture, fire roasted tomatoes, cumin chili powder and season with salt and pepper to taste. Bring to a boil then reduce heat to medium-low, cover and simmer 15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Thin with more broth if desired. Stir in lime juice and cilantro and serve warm with desired toppings.
  3. Recipe source: Cooking Classy
Nutrition Facts
Black Bean Soup
Amount Per Serving
Calories 460Calories from Fat 135
% Daily Value*
Total Fat 15g23%
Saturated Fat 4g20%
Cholesterol 21mg7%
Sodium 1412mg59%
Potassium 1372mg39%
Total Carbohydrates 59g20%
Dietary Fiber 21g84%
Sugars 5g
Protein 22g44%
Vitamin A9.3%
Vitamin C58.5%
Calcium14.4%
Iron39.1%
* Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet.
Course: Soup
Cuisine: Tex-Mex
Keyword: Black Bean Soup
Calories: 460 kcal



No comments