Using Music to Calm Your Dog- Anti Anxiety Dog Music


I ran across someone commenting on an article the other 
day regarding music and it’s effect on dogs. Music is
something I have always used with my dogs, but never 
saw or looked into any actual research on it. Instead of
reading this woman’s comments on the article, I decided
to check it out myself. 

The article is “Behavioral effect 
of auditory stimulation on kenneled dogs,” by Kogan, Schoenfeld-Tacher & Simon, J of Veterinary Behavior 7, 2012, 268-275.)”



Kennels? Stressful? No way!

It begins discussing the obvious fact that kenneling dogs is stressful on the dog, physiologically and behaviorally. I don’t know about you, but this is no surprise to me. Which is why I do not kennel my dogs any more. I always have a house sitter come stay or check in on them so they are still in their own environment with their own comforts.



Humans like music, why would dogs be different? 


The article then looks at auditory stimulation and it’s approach to mood regulation and emotional management. It compares how humans react to music and how dogs react. As humans, we tend to use music for mood regulation and emotional management. Or am I the only one? We need peppy popular music for a night on the town, but then some good ol’ Ray LaMontagne for those peaceful relaxing nights at the house. I don’t need to prove this to you, right? Music to study with, baby music for sleeping, music to dance to, to cry to (Sarah McLachlan “Angel”....anyone else?) and so the list goes on and on. And does anyone else notice how music can change your mood? 


Come to find out, it’s true! 


The study found that the results were consistent with human studies. Classical/calming music helps with mood, stress, anxiety and sleep in dogs just like in people. They also found, that on the other hand, heavy metal caused the opposite effect to happen in dogs, restlessness, less sleep, fidgeting etc. If you have ever read anything by Cesar Millan you will know that an environment can have a tremendous impact on a dog, and dogs pick that up immediately. They know when you are frustrated and out of control, they know when you are sad, they pick up on the energy in the house etc. So this article just confirms what I have always expected. My favorites: Like I said, I picked up on the effects of music on my dogs ages ago when I would listen to Josh Groban and they would be snoozing and drooling in a matter of seconds. So now, I will purposely pick out some good tunes to play when I am needing to relax, and of course, when the dog isn’t relaxed, nobody is! 

The BEST is straight up classical music, but some Michael Buble can do the trick too!

Here is my go-to Spotify album: Classical Study Music

What are some of your pup's favorite tunes?

2 comments

  1. My pups will fall asleep instantly when we listen to Bon Iver or Sleeping at Last. I used both for my puppies to sleep through the night. Now we use it when we just want to relax and take a nap or after we come home from the dog park to let them relax.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely! It can completely change the mood of my house! Especially if I am ready for a nap :)

      Delete